InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some thoughts about making open source GPS frontend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Some thoughts about making open source GPS frontend Reply with quote

Well,
I was digging the Tiger db another day and found out that it lacks many important information. So the roadnav which is based upon it, misses it too.
Moreover Tiger data is not optimal from many prospectives and takes a _lots_ of space. So I decided to try out myself in making something real small that can use different map sources such as navteq or tiger.
Will see if it'll become true, but for now I don't see much problems getting there.
Any thoughts or siggestions ?
Marc

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Navteq Data Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

This is a very interesting project, I was looking for something like this for quite some time.
I have the Navteq CD from the BMW navigation system (VDO), would anyone know how to read it? I know that Navteq use SDAL format, but the files are .DB format and they seem to be some sort of a database file.
Also anyone knows how to use these with Mappoint 2004 (it also uses Navteq data)
Regards
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navteq maps can be read easily:
http://www.navteq.com/sdalformat/formatspec.html
Not sure anyone came up with the open source parser or anything alike though Sad
s003apr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbors wrote:
Navteq maps can be read easily:
http://www.navteq.com/sdalformat/formatspec.html
Not sure anyone came up with the open source parser or anything alike though Sad

Offering a frontend for Navteq data would be great, but has anyone actually seen where you could purchase Navteq data in SDAL format?
adriaya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way for average programmer to earn a good salary in Open Source industry? I see many ads about great Open Source opportunities everywhere, but what are the ways of getting money, if the software is free?

Last edited by adriaya on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make money in OS software.
Look at MySQL. Even though the software is free its support is not. If you know MySQL so well to modify/tune to the specific needs you will get your salary on time Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> GPS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: